Heaven is sometimes a real destination that is too beautiful to be true.
The gigantic peaks of the Himalaya’s diversified flora & fauna and breathtaking views of the Mt. Kanchenjunga make Sikkim a paradise for nature lovers. This tiny yet majestic state also serves as a home to so many hidden places. Zero point in North Sikkim is one of the most valuable gems.
A Trip to Zero Point- Snow Lover’s Point!!
Also known as Yumesamdong, Zero point stands at an altitude of 15,300 feet in the Northern District of Sikkim. It is the place where three rivers meet with snow-clad mountains in the vicinity offering some thrilling views. Your remarkable Sikkim sightseeing tours will definitely incomplete without witnessing the charismatic view of it.
You will find very less vegetation in Zero Point as it remains snow covered for the most of the year. Feeling goosebumps already? It will give you more!
Some things you should know about Zero Point!!
1. How can you reach Zero Point?
- Only vehicles from any of tour operators who are registered by Sikkim tourism are only allowed for Zero Point. So, you need to take a tour package from an authorized tour operator of Sikkim.
- If you need our suggestion, we would suggest to first reaching Lachung and then start early in the morning for the Zero Point directly.
Nearest Airport of Lachung- Bagdogra Airport and Pakyong Airport
Nearest Railheads- New Jalpaiguri Railway Station (NJP) and Siliguri Junction
2. Why it is called Zero Point?
As there is no motorable road after this place and the visitors are not permitted to go further beyond this point due to its proximity to the Chinese border.
3. Best Time to Visit…
If you wish to witness the beauty of snowfall, then you should go during December to February. However, if heavy snowfall occurs, the route to Zero point gets closed.
4. What to expect at Zero Point?
While the road journey to Zero Point is quite treacherous, the rewards are awesome!
The view is just breathtaking – the snow-clad mountain peaks and the splendid beauty of three rivers turn this place simply into a visual delight. You can get the spectacular views of Yaks grazing in the small stretch of snow-clad grassy land.
5. Arranging Permits-How?
As Zero Point is located nearby the international border of China, it requires permits to visit. The permits can be arranged from the Gangtok Tourism Office. If you will take the package from tour and travel agency in Siliguri, they will arrange these permits for you.
6. Important Tips for Travelers!!
- Since the point can only be reached by walking, make sure you are able to walk all the way.
- Wear comfortable footwear.
- Carry your own food and snacks. However, there are some food stalls present where you will get lip-smacking momos.
7. What Else?
- Gets the adrenaline pumping by trekking up the trail to Zero Point.
- Enjoy the breathtaking view of the snow-clad Mountains that surround the area.
8. What must you pack on this trip?
As all these places are in the mountain region, so you should take-
- An overcoat
- A pair of gloves
- Snow boots
- Cash, as there is no ATM Machines to swipe your card.
- Medicines for the high altitude sickness.
Snow! Snow! That is all you get here! Still thinking? You should not. January is knocking! Pack your bag and start your tour to Zero Point before as soon as possible before it gets too late!