Witness the Winter Wonderland of the North-East by taking a trip to Darjeeling in December and make it a memorable vacation.
Darjeeling- ‘A Town with captivating beauty’
Also known as ‘Queen of the Hills’, Darjeeling is among the most frequented hill stations in North Eastern India. From toy trains to cable car rides, from adrenaline-rushing treks to soul-satisfying cuisines, there is nothing that Darjeeling doesn’t offer to you from all walks. And guess what; Darjeeling in December turns double charming because of mesmerizing snowfall. Grab the most affordable family packages for a memorable Darjeeling trip to dip in its beauty.
Access to Darjeeling!!
By air: Fly down to Bagdogra Airport, the nearest airport which is 94kms away from Darjeeling. A wide range of airlines has direct flights to Bagdogra from Delhi, Kolkata, Guwahati, etc.
By rail: The nearest railheads are the New Jalpaiguri Railway Station (NJP) and Siliguri Junction.
The distance between NJP to Darjeeling- 69.1 km
By road: There are regular bus services available from Siliguri to Darjeeling (70 km away from Darjeeling).
Darjeeling’s Weather in December!!
December is the time to visit Darjeeling. During this time, the cold is bearable and turning the city a haven for winter lovers. The average temperature ranges from 1.5°C to 10.2°C.
Enjoy Snowfall in December For a Lifetime Experience!!
Every nature lovers prefer the winter time for visiting Darjeeling. However, snowfall is rare in Darjeeling town even in winter. But, if you are lucky enough, you will be a part of this beauty and enjoy snowing. There are mainly 3 points where you can witness the beauty of snowfall, such as-
- Tiger Hill- It is being the highest point in Darjeeling, where the possibility of snowing is highest in December, but even here snowing is very occasional.
- Trek to Sandakphu- Perched at an altitude of 12,000ft, Sandakphu is known as the trekkers’ paradise. The trekking journey will reward you with spectacular snowfall along with stunning views of Kanchenjunga.
- Tumling Point- It is another point where you will often get plenty of snow.
You Can Also Enjoy Other Than Snowfall In Darjeeling Are…
- Exploring exciting festivals of Darjeeling.
- Savor the taste of Chhurpi, a local treat to beat the winter blues.
- Get a glimpse of amusing Batasia Loop & Ghoom station.
- Go on a delightful cable car ride.
- Evoke your inner wild side by visiting Darjeeling Zoo.
- Test your strength with the Sandakphu-Phalut trekking expedition with the help of the best tour and travel agency in Siliguri.
- Gorge on delish local cuisines of Darjeeling.
Essential Tips for Visiting Darjeeling in December!!
Though full of picturesque views, Darjeeling trip during December can be a problematic situation for you for the extreme weather conditions of the place. So, here are some guidelines for visiting Darjeeling in December to make your tour smoother:
- Make sure you wear heavy woolens or layers in all areas of Darjeeling during December.
- Do proper research on the weather conditions of Darjeeling before planning a tour. And when you are there keep your eyes on the weather forecast and road conditions of the places you’re visiting.
- Do not venture out on the roads in case of fog.
Q. What are the festivals organized in Darjeeling?
A. There are two types of festivals organized in Darjeeling during December are Orange Festival and Teesta Tea & Tourism Festival.
Q. What is the cost of cable-car ride in Darjeeling?
A. The cost of a cable-car ride in Darjeeling is INR 165 per person.