Blessed with picturesque beauty and alluring weather, Darjeeling is reckoned as the paradise for every nature lovers.
North Bengal at a Glance!!
North Bengal holds most magnificent mountain panoramas, as well as a number of India’s most attractive hill stations. It is truly a treasure hunt for the nature lovers who are looking for an escape from the hectic chores of the modern city life. With the help of car rental services in Siliguri, you can get a glimpse of the natural beauty of Darjeeling, Sikkim and many elegant places.
Darjeeling- ‘Most Valuable Gem of North Bengal’
Perched at an elevation of 2134mt, Darjeeling is one of the most famous hill stations in North Bengal. Also known as ‘Queen of the Hills’, Darjeeling is an ideal destination to fulfill the desires of holiday lovers. Decked in snowy mountains and lush green tea garden, Darjeeling will surely blow your mind.
Ways to Reach Darjeeling!!
Nearest Airport: Bagdogra Airport is the nearest airport.
Distance from Bagdogra Airport to Darjeeling- 69.8 km
Nearest Railheads: New Jalpaiguri Railway Station (NJP) and Siliguri Junction.
Distance from NJP to Darjeeling- 69.1km
Distance from Siliguri Junction to Darjeeling- 62 km
Road Routes to Reach Darjeeling!!
All the roads lead to Darjeeling from New Jalpaiguri and Bagdogra Airport. Here we are giving detailed information about road routes up to Darjeeling-
- From NJP to the Hill Cart Road (NH-55) is the main route.
- You can also choose the shorter road routes as well. You can travel for 8kms up to Matigara (a small town in Siliguri) by the main road.
- And then take a left turn towards a small village, known as Simulbari.
At Simulbari, the road bifurcates and it leads to two road routes-
- One road goes through the Pankhabari Road. This is a so much narrow road that 2 vehicles can barely pass each other. But this route id 12kms shorter compared to the Hill Cart Road.
- The 2nd road from Simulbari goes via a village called Rohini. This road is known as Rohini road.
A Glimpse of Road Route to Darjeeling via Rohini!!
Have a look-
- Simulbari to Kurseong Via Rohini Road (40km, 80 min)
- Take a left turn from Kurseong to Ghum (24km, 60 min)
- Then go straight to reach Darjeeling (8km, 25 min)
Note: Due to major damage from landslides at Pagla Jhora, the Hill Cart Road has remained inaccessible since June 2010. So, the vehicles have been taking the alternative route (Route via Rohini to Darjeeling).
A Few Words on Rohini!!
Enriched with splendid beauty, Rohini is one of the lesser known tourist attraction for having alluring tea gardens. The beauty of the roads will also leave you spellbound. The sight on the way to Darjeeling via Rohini is also something special that pleases any travelers mind.
Enchanting Places to Visit in Darjeeling for a Weekend Trip!!
Darjeeling harbors numerous places that you cannot afford to miss, such as-
- Himalayan Mountaineering Institute
- Tiger Hill
- Batasia Loop
- Darjeeling Mall and Chowrasta
- Rock Garden and Ganga Maya Park
- Darjeeling Ropeway
- Japanese Temple and Peace Pagoda
- Observatory Hill and Mahakal Temple
- Bhutia Busty Monastery
- Ghoom Monastery
Do we need to say more? There will be no place better than Darjeeling for the weekend trip. It is advisable to start your tour by booking the most reliable travel agency in Siliguri and make your trip hassle-free.
Q. Which are the best hotels in Darjeeling?
A. There are many hotels present in Darjeeling such as Summit Swiss Heritage Hotel, Delight Norling Retreat, MAYFAIR etc where you will get comfortable ambiance.
Q. What to buy from Darjeeling to take home back?
A. Darjeeling is famous various alluring souvenirs that you should buy includes Tibetan masks, brooches, pendants with carved-in gems, traditional boots, Khukri, and woolen items.