Darjeeling hill station is the third most googled and one of the most preferred holiday destinations of countless tourists in and across the country. Nature has bestowed this endearing hill town with the abundance of glorious and imposing features like striking sunrise viewpoint, magnificent mountain views, lush greenery of tea plantations and forests, cascading river streams and a profuse species of flora & fauna.
Darjeeling Weather in December
Darjeeling`s weather is quite pleasant during the month of December since it marks the onset of winters. In fact, this is the perfect time when this enchanting hill town appears at it most scenic and adorable phase. People who love hills can gain the fabulous opportunity to have the clearest views of the snow-clad peaks of Mt. Kanchenjunga and the surrounding vistas only in winters.
Darjeeling`s major points of interest
The best possible way of getting close to this alluring haven is by spending some time in its top destinations. Below is a list of few important Darjeeling points of interest which will talk you close to nature and the lifestyle of locals.
1. Tiger Hill:
Famous as the Darjeeling view point, Tiger Hill is a sought tourist destination which allows you to soak into the true blaze of the sun changing its colors over the horizon, offering spectacular views of sunrise and snow-capped peaks of Kanchenjunga.
- Visiting hours: 4 AM to 6 PM.
- Entry fee: Free entry.
- Nearby hotels: Batasia Loop Homestay, Vikkyz Homestay.
2. Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park:
Popularly known as the Darjeeling Zoo, this famous tourist point in Darjeeling is usually crowded with plenty of visitors all year. Being the country`s only specialized zoo, it is internationally recognized for its conservation breeding programmes of animals like Snow Leopard, Red Panda, Tibetan Wolf, Himalayan salamander and much more.
- Visiting hours: 8:30 AM to 4 PM (except Thursdays)
- Entry fee: Rs. 30 per head (Indians)
- Rs. 100 per head (Foreign tourists)
- Nearby hotels: Summit Hermon Hotel & Spa, Mayfair Darjeeling.
3. Himalayan Mountaineering Institute:
As the name suggests, HMI promotes adventure activities like mountaineering and rock climbing within its training premises and the huge Tenzing Rock being a major attraction. It also homes a well-stocked museum comprising of several mountaineering displays and expeditions artefacts.
- Visiting hours: 9 AM to 5 PM (except Tuesdays)
- Entry fee: Rs. 40 per head.
- Nearby hotels: The Ivanhoe House, Krishna Service Apartment, Mayfair Darjeeling.
4. Barbotey Rock Garden:
Other famous Darjeeling points of interest include Rock Garden, the one which experiences huge inrush of tourists. It is beautifully decorated with seasonal flowers, fountain, and shrubbery. A delicate river stream gives an alluring charm to the place.
- Visiting hours: 10 AM to 4 PM
- Entry fee: Rs. 10 per head.
- Nearby hotels: Hotel Princess, Swiss Cottage.
5. Peace Pagoda:
The very famous Peace Pagoda is a religious site of Darjeeling which was purposely built to propagate peace and prosperity in the world. This magnificent monument showcases four avatars of Lord Buddha which are beautifully carved and polished in gold color.
- Visiting hours: 4:30 AM to 7 PM
- Entry fee: Free entry.
- Nearby hotels: Pahari Soul, Hotel Bloomfield Darjeeling.
6. Batasia Loop:
The Himalayan Toy Train ride is one that fascinates every tourist. If you happen to take a train ride, you will come across Batasia Loop in Darjeeling which is perhaps the most magnificent and charming rail loop that offers a total 360-degree panoramic view of Darjeeling`s sketch.
- Visiting hours: 8 AM to 9:30 PM
- Entry fee: Free Entry.
- Nearby hotels: Hotel Princess, Hotel Kasturi Palace.
7. Happy Valley Tea Estate:
What else on earth would pleasure you enough than walking through the green tea garden on gentle slopes and exploring the spectacular mountain vistas of the enchanting hill town of Darjeeling? Happy Valley Tea Estate is your place to savor the flavor of world famous Darjeeling Tea.
- Visiting hours: Tuesday to Saturday (8 AM to 4 PM)
- Entry fee: Rs. 50 to 75 for solo visitors and slightly less for crowds.
- Nearby hotels: Krishna Service Apartment, Crescent Resort.
Things to do in Darjeeling in December
- Begin your day with the spectacular dawn at Tiger Hill.
- Be part of the exciting winter festivals of the hill station.
- Embark on the adventurous trekking trip at Sandakphu.
- Enjoy the life-enhancing Toy Train Ride amid the mountains.
- Saunter amid the luxuriant green tea gardens at Happy Valley Tea Estate inhaling the aroma of tea blossoms infused in the misty air.
- Get your realm of the Himalayan expedition at H.M.I and get a thorough insight into the legends like Tenzing Norgay Sherpa.